The Acacia Movement is on a mission to create a world of united and empowered people fighting for equality for women by increasing awareness of injustice, facilitating understanding relationships, and sharing opportunities for redemptive action. We envision a world where citizens of the Global North, both women and men, fight as passionately for the rights of women in the Global South as they do for women in their own context.
We do this through educational workshops on issues women in the Global South face, dissemination of action opportunities, motivational stories and educational resources, facilitation of global partnerships and organizational consultations.
Why are we here?
- About 2/3 of the world’s illiterate are women
- On average, women globally only earn between 65-70% of a man’s salary
- 80% of all human trafficking victims are women
- At least 200 million women alive today have undergone Female Genital Mutilation
- Overwhelming international evidence shows that when women handle household finances their families benefit on a far deeper level
- Additional evidence shows that female-run businesses in the Global South use capital better, generate higher income and lead to greater employment opportunities for community members
The playing field is not yet equal. We are here because we believe in a feminist ethic that extends beyond all borders and rallies for the rights of women in the Global South who are experiencing a complex and tragic system of oppression.